64 nights until Halloween

The Maid in the Brown Dress: the Neidpath Castle Ghost

Neidpath Castle

Reviewed by Josh N · Updated August 25, 2026 · How we verify

Reported Phenomena

  • Woman in brown dress
  • Apparition of a maid

Reported by visitors & local legend. Stories, not verified claims.

Walter Scott gave her a name in verse, and the name stuck: the Neidpath Castle ghost is said to be Jean Douglas, the Maid of Neidpath, a laird’s daughter who wasted away for a man she was forbidden to marry. The tower she supposedly walks is real enough. Neidpath Castle is an L-plan rubble-built tower house overlooking the River Tweed about a mile west of Peebles, in the Borders of Scotland, and it has stood through a Cromwellian siege, two centuries of aristocratic neglect and a spell as a television location.

Quick orientation: it is a tall tower with rounded corners, one leg of the L very short, roofed battlements and a balustraded sentry walk. It functions today as a wedding venue and filming location, and can be viewed by appointment.

Neidpath Castle
Neidpath Castle. Photo: Chris Heaton (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Frasers, Hays and the Building of the Present Tower

An early castle was probably raised on the site by Simon Fraser of Oliver Castle between 1263 and 1266, while he held the office of High Sheriff of Tweeddale. The barony passed to the Hay family in the early 14th century through marriage to the heiress Margaret, a daughter of the sheriff’s son, Simon Fraser of Oliver and Neidpath. Sir William de Haya, who died around 1390, probably built the tower that stands now, late in the 14th century.

The Hays held it until the 17th century. Sir William’s son, Sir Thomas Hay, married the daughter and heiress of Sir Hugh Gifford of Yester and so acquired Yester Castle, which became the principal family seat, though Neidpath remained in use. Mary, Queen of Scots visited in 1563, and her son James VI in 1587. The archway still carries both families in stone: the goats head emblem of the Hays and the strawberries of the Frasers.

The Siege of 1650 and What the Guns Took Down

In 1645 Neidpath was garrisoned against the Royalist forces of James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose. The following year John Hay of Yester changed sides, joined the King’s party and was created 1st Earl of Tweeddale by Charles II. When Oliver Cromwell invaded Scotland in 1650, the castle was attacked.

Accounts of what happened next do not agree. Mike Salter states the castle was surrendered without a fight. Other sources claim it took the longest assault on any stronghold south of the River Forth before it gave in. James Taylor, writing in 1887, records that the 13th-century tower was demolished by artillery during the siege, and the listed building report notes damage to the west wing. That contradiction is worth holding on to when guides tell the story with confidence one way or the other.

Bankruptcy, Wordsworth and a Long Decline

During the 1660s the 2nd Earl of Tweeddale remodelled the castle and put up outbuildings. He was an agricultural improver who planted an avenue of yews, one side of which survives. He was also declared bankrupt, and in 1686 he sold Neidpath to William Douglas, 1st Duke of Queensberry. In 1693 Queensberry gave the castle to his second son William Douglas, later the 1st Earl of March, whose own son, the 2nd Earl, altered it again in the 18th century.

The 3rd Earl inherited the Queensberry title and estates in 1778 and let Neidpath to tenants, among them the philosopher and historian Adam Ferguson. Neglect did the rest: by 1790 the upper storeys of the wing had collapsed. William Wordsworth and Walter Scott both came in 1803. Wordsworth was appalled at the felling of what he called “a brotherhood of venerable Trees” and wrote a sonnet opening “Degenerate Douglas! oh, the unworthy Lord.” On the Duke’s death in 1810 the castle and the earldom of March went to the Earl of Wemyss, while the dukedom passed to the Scotts of Buccleuch. Neidpath still belongs to the Earl of Wemyss, and the Earl’s heir takes his courtesy title, Lord Neidpath, from it.

Jean Douglas and the Story Scott Told

Tradition holds that the castle is haunted by Jean Douglas, youngest daughter of William Douglas, Earl of March, whom Scott called “the Maid of Neidpath” in his poem. The tale runs that she was forbidden to marry the son of the laird of Tushielaw, who was reckoned below her station. Her lover was sent away and she dwined in his absence. By the time he returned she was so wasted that he did not recognise her, and she died of a broken heart.

This is tradition, not documented event. What the sources record is the story and the poem, not a death certificate or a contemporary account of the courtship. She is reputed to appear in a full-length brown dress with a large white collar, which is the single most consistent detail attached to the Neidpath Castle ghost.

What Is Reported Inside the Tower

The reported phenomena here are narrow rather than varied. Sightings attributed to the Maid describe a woman in a long brown gown with a broad white collar, seen within the castle. There is no recorded catalogue of poltergeist activity, no famous photograph, no roll of witnesses in the source record. Anyone visiting in hope of a busy haunting should know that the reputation rests almost entirely on one figure and one costume.

The Vaulted Hall, the Pit Dungeon and the Terraces

The interior repays attention on its own merits. The basement and the first-floor hall are vaulted, and the hall is further divided by a wooden floor into two storeys. There are few windows, and two still keep their iron bar protection. A pit dungeon survives, along with small exhibitions of artefacts found locally, and there are remains of a partly walled garden.

To the south-east and east lie five terraces set at 8m centres. Originally ornate garden terraces, they were apparently enclosed by a wall recorded in 1581 and described as a “sloping parterre” in 1815. Between 1682 and 1686 the terraces were remodelled and a summer house built.

Neidpath on Screen

The castle has been used as a location for many films and television series. Among them is Merlin: The Quest Begins, starring Jason Connery and directed by David Winning, filmed here in September and October 1997. It also appeared in the Sam and Colby series in 2019.

Seeing Neidpath Castle for Yourself

Neidpath is not a turn-up-and-wander site. It is a wedding venue and filming location, and can be viewed by appointment, so contact should be made in advance rather than assuming open doors. It sits about a mile (1.6 km) west of Peebles above the Tweed, and the walk along the river gives the best exterior view of the tower and the surviving side of the 17th-century yew avenue.

Address: Neidpath Castle, Peebles, Scottish Borders

See Neidpath Castle for Yourself

Sources

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Neidpath Castle Peebles Ghost located?

Neidpath Castle Peebles Ghost is located at Neidpath Castle, Peebles, Scottish Borders.

Can you visit Neidpath Castle Peebles Ghost?

Neidpath Castle Peebles Ghost is accessible by guided tour only. Always follow posted rules and respect private property.

Reader sightings

Nobody has reported anything here yet. If you have been, you would be the first.

Report your own visit to The Maid in the Brown Dress: the Neidpath Castle Ghost
What happened? Tick anything that applies.

Everything is read by a person before it appears. We publish accounts, not arguments, and we never publish your email.

How haunted is this place?

Be the first to rate

Ghost Tours Nearby

Affiliate links: BeyondHaunted may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you.

Nearby Haunted Locations

  1. 1Boiled in Lead by LegendScotland32mi
  2. 2Duns Castle Ghost Stories and the Keep That Cannot Be DatedScotland35mi
  3. 3The Green Lady of Stirling CastleScotland43mi
  4. 4The Blue Boy and the Bone BoxEngland52mi
  5. 5Cardinal Beaton and the Ethie Castle Ghosts of AngusScotland72mi
  6. 6Meggernie Castle GhostScotland78mi

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *